Thursday, June 30, 2011

New Chapter Part I

My one year sabbatical starts today. In the past two weeks, I've had many "So, you must be excited about your year off . . . " conversations. Yes, I am, but there are a number of other emotions at play as well.

Primarily, the huge amount of time I have at my disposal in the upcoming year is a huge responsibility. I'm 38. I have two kids (who get bigger every time I look at them). I'm fat (as previously discussed - things have gone from bad to worse), and I need to get into shape. I'm also concerned about spending too much money. It's easy to not overspend when you're working, but when you're not working, there's more time to notice all the things around the house that need replacing.

I sound ungrateful. I'm not. I'm completely grateful. I just don't wanna mess this up, you know? The last two months have been rigorous. I love my job, but for a while there I couldn't fit another thought in my brain than what I absolutely had to to get through the day. I want to write. I've been writing, but lately it sucks. I keep working and moving forward because writing takes faith and discipline - the only way to not get anything off the ground is not to do anything at all.

Thanks for listening. There's more to come, but I got a call and I have to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment