Monday, March 21, 2011

Rejection

As an unproduced playwright, I've experienced a lot of rejection. It comes with the territory, but it's never pleasant. There are, however, some rejection messages that hurt a little less than others, like this one I got today from Stratford:

Dear Mary,

First, I must apologize for the lengthy time we have taken to respond to your play submission, Siona MacDuff. Yours was one of a small handful of scripts that got a bit delayed between the various readers who reviewed the material and changing personnel within the department.

You have a fine and accurate ear for dialogue and write with great heart and appeal. The implications of the world you are portraying in the play resonate in an immediate way and there is much to appreciate in the play. While we don’t feel it is the right project for us, we would be happy to read and consider more of your work in the future.

All the best with your artistic endeavors and thank you for your interest in the Festival.

Sincerely,




It could be worse. And I think I just may take her up on her invitation to submit more of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment